Trial may be averted for former CIA agent

Davis hearing delay points to deal


Raymond Davis, a former CIA contractor who made national headlines when he was jailed in Pakistan in January 2011 for killing two Pakistani men in what he claimed was self-defense, may be close to a plea agreement over a fight that took place in a Highlands Ranch parking lot after he returned home.

Davis, now 38, entered a not-guilty plea in April for the alleged October 2011 assault of 50-year-old Jeff Maes over a parking space. A pretrial hearing scheduled for Jan. 25 in the 18th Judicial District was postponed until Feb. 11, one day before the criminal trial is set to begin.

The postponement hints at a “possible disposition” of the case, according to Lisa Pinto, spokeswoman for the district attorney’s office.

Davis, who is free on bond, is charged with felony second-degree assault and misdemeanor disorderly conduct. If a plea is not reached, Davis faces a mandatory minimum sentence of five years and a maximum of 16 years in prison. The disorderly conduct charge carries a maximum of six months in county jail.

This is the third postponement in the case, something that has Maes’ attorney, Larry Klayman, livid.

Klayman has been outspoken about his belief that the CIA is putting pressure on the prosecutor’s office to settle the case. According to Klayman, the CIA does not want classified information about Davis’ training and what he was doing in Pakistan to surface in the trial.

The DA’s office has stated multiple times that there has been no contact with the CIA, which Klayman calls “propesporous.” He says they would not be doing their due diligence if they had not contacted the CIA for Davis’ files.

“It looks to me like the CIA is definitely leaning on the prosecution,” said Klayman after receiving word of the recent postponement. “They are compromising the rights of the victims, victims which include my client’s children, who have gone through extreme psychological counseling from seeing their dad viciously attacked.”

Investigators allege Davis got into a verbal altercation with Maes and then punched him, knocking him to the ground outside of an Einstein Brothers Bagels at the corner of Broadway and Highlands Ranch Parkway. Maes alleges that he was seriously injured in the back, neck and arm and that Davis instigated the fight.

Davis was freed from the Pakistani prison seven months prior to the fight, and returned to his home in Highlands Ranch following a deal that paid the victims’ families $2.34 million in “blood money.” There has been no concrete evidence of where the blood money came from, but it has been widely suggested the U.S. government picked up the tab.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment