Suspect in Highlands Ranch standoff apparently died of self-inflicted injuries


The suspect in the Sept. 24 standoff in Highlands Ranch apparently died of self-inflicted injuries, according to a Douglas County Sheriff' Office spokeswoman.

The incident at a home on Castle Ridge Circle prompted a large law enforcement response, a school lockout and a Code Red notification telling neighbors to shelter in place.

The suspect was identified by authorities as Ryan Lane, 36. The coroner's office is expected to have the official cause and manner of death in about four to five weeks.

Lane reportedly fired shots at a resident of the home and was found dead by officers in the house about 2 ½ hours later, according to the sheriff's office. No other injuries were reported.

The resident of the home was able to flee to a neighbor's house, according to Deputy Lauren Lekander, a sheriff's office spokeswoman.

The suspect was believed to have fired six shots, Lekander said, “but that could change as the investigation progresses.” She said she did not know what type of firearm the suspect used.

The suspect and the victim knew each other and may have been friends, Lekander said, but a motive for the incident was not clear.

SWAT officers entered the home about 6 p.m. Sept. 24 and found the suspect dead, Lekander said. At least one firearm was located inside the home.

Law enforcement did not make verbal contact with the suspect during the standoff, and no officers fired their weapons, Lekander said. Deputies did not hear any gunshots from inside the home while on scene, she said.

The sheriff's office was alerted to reports of shots being fired at the residence at 3:21 p.m.

Soon after, nearby Trailblazer Elementary School was placed on lockout status, just before students would have been released for the day, according to a Douglas County School District spokeswoman.

Jason Link lives nearby and has a child who attends Trailblazer, which is about 2 1/2 miles from STEM School Highlands Ranch, site of a fatal shooting in May.

"You know they're safe in there... The good news is they're on the interior in the gymnasium watching movies," he said shortly after 5 p.m. while parked on a street near the school, waiting for word of students' release. "I'm concerned about it given all the things that have happened in the past six months. You pull up in the parking lot and see all the police in the parking lot and think 'not again.' "

Castle Ridge Circle was blocked off by deputies and other first responders during the standoff, and a Code Red notification was sent to residents within a half-mile radius of the home, advising them to shelter in place.

Shortly after 6 p.m., the sheriff's office posted a message on Twitter, stating the scene was secure and there was no threat to the community.


Our Papers

Ad blocker detected

We have noticed you are using an ad blocking plugin in your browser.

The revenue we receive from our advertisers helps make this site possible. We request you whitelist our site.