Highlands Ranch • The softball team has compiled a 5-6 record, which is the best start in the past four seasons. Last year's team started 2-6 and won only two of the first 16 games. In 2016, the …
This item is available in full to subscribers.
If you're a print subscriber, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one.
Click here to see your options for becoming a subscriber.
If you made a voluntary contribution of $25 or more in Nov. 2018-2019, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one at no additional charge. VIP Digital Access Includes access to all websites
• The softball team has compiled a 5-6 record, which is the best start in the past four seasons. Last year's team started 2-6 and won only two of the first 16 games. In 2016, the Falcons were 4-7 after 11 games and finished with an 8-11 record. Senior Jalyn Garcia is hitting .583 and junior Kelsey Newman .571 to pace this year's Falcons team in statistics compiled after nine games. Debbie Kortbawi, a dean at the school, has assumed the head coaching job this season.
• John Trahan is still looking for his first win as the football coach and it won't be easy on Sept. 7 as the Falcons have a road game against Regis Jesuit. The Falcons have lost the past six games against Regis. So far this season, the team has lost 49-35 to Eaglecrest and were edged 28-21 by Grandview on Aug. 31.
• Junior Sarah O'Sullivan was the individual girls varsity champion Aug. 31 in the Warrior Invitational cross country meet. She had a time of 18:43.00.
• The football team is 0-2 after losing to Ralston Valley 51-0 on Aug. 24 and dropping a 38-21 decision to Cherokee Trail Aug. 31.
• Junior Gino Buti has scored the lone goal of the season for the boys soccer team which is off to an 0-3 start after a 3-0 loss to Fairview, a 1-0 setback to Heritage and a 4-1 loss to Fort Collins on Aug. 30.
• The boys soccer team scored three second-half goals and evened its record at 2-2 with a 4-1 win over the Far Northeast Warriors on Aug. 28. Sophomore Bruno Zdravecky and Kagan Giltinan each had two goals and an assist to spark the victory.
• The softball team took a 5-0 record into the Erie Tournament of Champions on Sept. 1. Three of the first five victories were by one run. Sophomore Anna Reimers leads the team with a .556 batting average. She has also pitched 16 innings with a 1.31 earned-run average.
• Junior Derek Fearon was fourth in the boys varsity race at the Warrior Invitational cross country meet on Aug. 31. He was timed in 16:44.00 as the boys team was fourth in the standings. Shannon Osoba was 11th in the girls varsity race with a time of 19:51.00.
Freshman Elsie Skurdal won the girls varsity race at the Washington Park Invitational cross country meet on Aug. 30 with a time of 21:03.00. Her junior sister Abigail was second in 21:28.00. The SkyView girls finished second with 86 points in the team standings. In the boys varsity race, freshman Owen Nolan was fourth with a time of 17:05.00 and the boys were also runners-up in the team race.
• Junior Shae Henley won the girls Junior/Senior division of the Ponderosa Mustang Stampede cross country meet on Aug. 31. The girls were first in the team standings. Henley was timed in 19:33.00, while Madilynn Edwards came in fourth with a 20:04.00 clocking.
• The football team has gotten off to a fast start in more ways than one. The team is 2-0 after a 43-0 win over Rangeview on Aug 24 and a 49-12 triumph over Lakewood on Aug. 30 at Jeffco Stadium. A total of 71 of the 92 points scored by the Grizzlies have come in the first half. Senior Spencer Lambert gained 91 yards on seven carries, scored three rushing touchdown and caught an 82-yard TD pass. He rushed for 162 yards and a TD against Lakewood.
• Senior quarterback Luke McCaffrey had 300 total yards in the football team's 35-0 season-opening win over Faith Lutheran on Aug. 24 in Las Vegas. It marked the first win as Valor head coach for McCaffrey's dad, Ed.
• The boys soccer team did not allow a goal in its first three games while scoring 12 goals in wins over Elizabeth, Peak to Peak and Wheat Ridge. Seniors Dalton Georgopulos and Daniel Soby have been the offensive leaders with four and three goals respectively. Three different goalies have seen action for the Eagles.
• Senior Jake Welch tied for second place with a 6-over-par 78 in the Jefferson County 5A golf tournament held Aug. 27 at Bear Creek Golf Club.
Other items that may interest you
We have noticed you are using an ad blocking plugin in your browser.
The revenue we receive from our advertisers helps make this site possible. We request you whitelist our site.