Highlands Ranch • The golf team notched a five-stroke victory over Regis Jesuit and Chaparral at the Sept. 11 Continental League golf tournament at Spring Valley Golf Course. Tarek Salem fired a …
This item is available in full to subscribers.
If you're a print subscriber, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one.
Click here to see your options for becoming a subscriber.
If you made a voluntary contribution of $25 or more in Nov. 2018-2019, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one at no additional charge. VIP Digital Access Includes access to all websites
• The golf team notched a five-stroke victory over Regis Jesuit and Chaparral at the Sept. 11 Continental League golf tournament at Spring Valley Golf Course. Tarek Salem fired a 2-over-par 74 to lead the Falcons’scorers.
• The volleyball team used a pair of standout performances by two sisters to post two victories. Senior captain Jill Borgerding had a triple double with 18 assists, 16 kills (64 kill percentage) and 10 digs in a 3-0 win over Regis Jesuit on Sept. 13. Her junior sister and libero, Libby, had 20 digs against Regis and 20 in a 3-1 win over Douglas County on Sept. 11.
• The football team dropped a 41-16 contest to Columbine on Sept. 14 and now faces a road test against defending state champion Pomona on Sept. 20. The Falcons trailed Columbine 35-3 at halftime and allowed 351 rushing yards.
• Junior Isabella Ingui went 3-for-4, scored twice and drove in three runs in an 11-2 softball victory over Regis Jesuit on Sept. 12.
• The volleyball team evened its record at 5-5 with a 3-1 triumph over Cheyenne Mountain on Sept. 15.
• Senior Taylor Donaldson, the leading scorer on the field hockey team, scored the winning goal in overtime in a 2-1 win over Dakota Ridge on Sept. 14. Meghan McMullen scored the other goal for Vista.
• The boys soccer team scored all its goals in the second half and notched a 4-0 win over Highlands Ranch on Sept. 13. Bruno Zdravecky, Calvin Ewing, Jack Hibbett and Alec Mikolajczak did the scoring, while Ian Fleming made five saves to earn the shutout.
• Junior Macy Rooney had two hits and four runs batted in for the softball team in a 17-5 win over Columbine on Sept. 15. The Jaguars had 11 hits during the game and took advantage of 10 Columbine errors to score nine unearned runs.
• Derek Fearon was third with a time of 16:07.80 on Sept. 15 at the Rock Canyon Cross Country Invitational and the Jaguars finished third in the boys race. Hope James was fourth and Shannon Osoba sixth in the girls race as Rock Canyon was the runner-up in the team standings. James was timed in 19:55.40 and Osoba 20:15.60.
• Freshman Vitaly Zatikyan, junior Brandon Somchana and senior Karl Gjerapic scored goals in the soccer team’s 5-3 loss to Jefferson Academy on Sept. 12.
• On a hot afternoon, Owen Nolan won the boys varsity race at the Arvada West Invitational cross country meet on Sept. 14. The freshman crossed the finish line in 16:59.00. Another freshman, Elsie Skurdal, was fourth in the girls race in 19:17.00
• The football team remained unbeaten with a 41-20 win over Horizon on Sept. 13 and the four wins surpassed the victory total of the 3-7 campaign in 2017. Senior Spencer Lambert carried the ball 17 times for 164 yards and two TDs against Horizon. He also caught four passes for 49 yards for the Grizzlies, who travel to Doherty for a Sept. 21 game.
• Senior Jordan Awwad got the game-winning and only goal in the soccer team’s 1-0, double-overtime win over Heritage on Sept. 13. Junior goalkeeper Logan Schmidt made six saves in 94 minutes in the net to contribute to ThunderRidge’s second win of the season.
• The softball team downed Ponderosa, 12-0, on Sept. 12 as senior Amanda Hedges went 4-for-4, scored four runs and had three runs batted in. Sophomore Payton Pacheco and senior Bridgette Strobl also each had three RBIs.
• The boys golf team won the Jefferson County 5A golf tournament on Sept. 11 at Walnut Creek Preserve Golf Course with a 308 total. Jake Welch and Trevor White both had scores of 4-over-par 76 and Ty Findlow fired a 77 to lead the Eagles. Welch carded a 1-under-par 71 to win the final league 5A tournament Sept. 13 at Fox Hollow golf course as the Eagles wrapped up the 5A Jeffco team title. Valor competed in the 5A Central regional state-qualifying tournament on Sept. 17 at Legacy Ridge Golf Course.
• The unbeaten football team will challenge Menlo-Atherton from Atherton, California, in a Sept. 21 game at Valor. The Eagles, ranked second in the Sept. 10 CHSAANow.com Class 5A poll, defeated top-ranked 4A team Pine Creek, 28-7, on Sept. 14. Senior quarterback Luke McCaffrey passed for a touchdown, ran for two others and finished with 365 total yards.
• The volleyball team still has not lost a set in seven matches and earned a pair of 3-0 wins over Legend on Sept. 13 and Regis Jesuit on Sept. 15. Myki Timlin had seven kills, four blocks and one dig to be named the team’s Player of Game against Regis. Lily Thomason had 16 kills and a .522 hitting percentage in a standout performance against Legend.
Other items that may interest you
We have noticed you are using an ad blocking plugin in your browser.
The revenue we receive from our advertisers helps make this site possible. We request you whitelist our site.