• In the season’s final match, the soccer team downed Thompson Valley 3-2 on Oct. 18. Senior Brian Lutz scored two goals and sophomore Curran Mulvihill one in the victory. Lutz wound up with 10 goals for the season to lead the team.
• The football team rushed for 236 yards in a 25-14 win over Mountain Vista on Oct. 19. The win boosted the Falcons’ record to 3-6 and the team will end the season with a game against unbeaten Valor Christian on Oct. 26.
• The girls cross country team had a dominating performance in winning the Region 1 cross country meet on Oct. 18 at Aurora Sports Park. Six Vista runners finished in the top 10, led by defending state champion junior Jenna Fitzsimmons, who won the race with a time of 17:52.00. Caroline Eck was third, Sarah O’Sullivan fourth, Shantell Hafner seventh, Makenna Anderson eighth and Nina St. John ninth. Harrison Witt was seventh in the boys race, which saw Dakota Ridge win the team title and the Golden Eagles come in second.
• The volleyball team beat Legend, 3-0, on Oct. 18 to notch its fourth straight win. Cassie Pyles, Shea Fuller and Breklyn Pulling each had seven kills. Pyles, a 5-foot-7 senior captain, had five aces, two blocks, eight digs and 15 assists in the match.
• The soccer team overcame a 1-0 deficit with three second-half goals and downed Legend 3-1 on Oct. 18. Senior Kagan Giltinan scored twice and Neon Sapkota had a goal in the win, which gave the Jaguars a 6-1-1 record in its past eight games.
• Hope James was second in the girls Region 5 cross country meet on Oct. 18 with a time of 19:19.62. Shannon Osoba was ninth and the girls team was the runner-up. In the boys meet, Wesley Beckham was fourth in 16:08.83 and Derek Fearon ran seventh.
• The softball team saw its season end during the second round of the 5A state tournament on Oct. 19 at Aurora Sports Park. The team finished with a 20-7 record. The team edged Smoky Hill, 3-2, in a first-round game. Katie Dack-Howell went 2-for-3 with an RBI and Erin Keen was 2-for-4 with a homer and two RBIs. In a 6-5 second-round loss to Loveland, the Jaguars allowed three runs in the bottom of the seventh. Audrey Burt, Keen, Alexa Hugenberg and Dack-Howell each had two hits in the loss. Anna Reimers had one hit and three RBIs.
• Freshman Owen Nolan won the Class 3A, Region 5 cross country meet on Oct. 18 with a time of 16:41.00. Ibrohim Nosirov was second and Andrew Wolfmueller sixth as the Hawks won the team title. In the girls race, Abigail Skurdal was fourth and Elsie Skurdal sixth for the Hawks, who finished third in the team standings.
• The boys soccer team concluded the season on Oct. 17 with a 3-2 loss to Prospect Ridge Academy. Connor Finley and Ethan Wright collected the goals while Karl Gjerapic and Vitaly Zatikyan were credited with assists.
• Shae Henley was 11th in the girls Region 2 cross country race on Oct. 18 at the Aurora Sports Park and Madilynn Edwards was 14th.
• Senior linebacker Ethan Fraiser was in on 18 total tackles, including 14 solo stops, in the 38-17 football loss to Valor Christian on Oct. 18. Quarterback Ryan Gilmore completed 8 of 15 passes for 169 yards and a TD. He also rushed for 81 yards and a score.
• Sophomore Jaden Snell got the goal as the boys soccer team tied rival Mountain Vista 1-1 in the season finale on Oct. 18. The Grizzlies are now 0-5-1 in the past six games played against Vista.
• Senior quarterback Luke McCaffrey missed his second straight football game because of an apparent shoulder injury but the Eagles remained unbeaten after a 38-17 win over ThunderRidge on Oct. 18. Freshman Gavin Sawchcuk sparked the win with two touchdowns on kickoff returns. He had three returns for 217 yards. Junior quarterback Cole Bolt was 12 of 29 for 216 yards and two touchdowns. Junior Chase Lopez caught both TD passes and also was in on six tackles.
• The volleyball team improved its record to 18-0 with a 3-0 triumph over Ralston Valley on Oct. 18. Lily Thomason had 13 kills, Caroline Reinkensmeyer 26 assists and Maddie Allen 16 digs in the win.
• Sophomore Taylor Whitfield had a strong finish and was the runner-up in the Class 5A Region 1 girls cross country race on Oct. 18 at Aurora Sports Park. She was timed in 18:25.00 and just edged Mountain Vista’s Caroline Eck near the finish line. Valor’s Keely Jones was fifth and the girls were second in the team standings. Cole Sprout, the defending 4A state champion, won the boys race with a time of 15:16.00
Other items that may interest you
We have noticed you are using an ad blocking plugin in your browser.
The revenue we receive from our advertisers helps make this site possible. We request you whitelist our site.