Highlands Ranch • The girls basketball team, second in the CHSAANow.com Class 5A poll, opened Continental League play with a 71-31 victory over Mountain Vista on Jan. 11. The Falcons are 13-0 …
This item is available in full to subscribers.
If you're a print subscriber, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one.
Click here to see your options for becoming a subscriber.
If you made a voluntary contribution of $25 or more in Nov. 2018-2019, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one at no additional charge. VIP Digital Access Includes access to all websites
• The girls basketball team, second in the CHSAANow.com Class 5A poll, opened Continental League play with a 71-31 victory over Mountain Vista on Jan. 11. The Falcons are 13-0 against Vista in games dating to 2007. Ranch is 11-1 this season, with its lone loss coming against Redondo Union (California) in the Nike Tournament of Champions
• The boys basketball team couldn't recover from an 14-point halftime deficit and lost 59-55 to top-ranked Mountain Vista in a Continental League game on Jan. 11.
• Benjamin Ford's short-handed goal pushed the hockey team into a 2-2 tie with five minutes to play, but Ralston Valley scored with 2:09 remaining to post a 3-2 victory on Jan. 12. Zachary Anderson scored the other Golden Eagles' goal.
• Senior guard Corban Gamble made five of seven 3-point shots and finished with 24 points as the top-ranked Class 5A boys basketball team build an early lead and held off Highlands Ranch on Jan. 11 for a 59-55 Continental League victory. The win boosted the Golden Eagles overall record to 11-0 prior to the Continental League showdown against No. 3 Chaparral on Jan. 15.
• The girls basketball team made only 19 percent of their field goal attempts in a 71-31 loss to third-ranked Highlands Ranch on Jan. 11. Sophomore Berit Brookfield led the Golden Eagles with eight points.
• Lon Ingram was second at 126 pounds and Adin Weaver was the runner-up at 138 pounds in the Fort Collins Arnold Torgerson Invite wrestling tournament on Jan. 12.
• In a Class 5A boys basketball showdown on Jan. 11 against ThunderRidge, ranked fourth in the CHSASNow.com poll released on Jan. 7, the eighth-ranked Jaguars surrendered the last six points in a 34-31 Continental League loss in a game in which the team shot just 24 percent from the field. Jalen Ashley, Jake Hassett and Jaylen Eikenberg each had seven points in the loss. Eikenberg, a senior, scored 24 points in a 57-49 win over Valor Christian on Jan. Grant Figueroa had 14 points and the senior pulled down 20 rebounds in the win over Valor.
• The girls basketball team sustained a 51-36 Continental League loss to ThunderRidge on Jan 11. In a 74-19 loss to No. 1-ranked Regis Jesuit on Jan. 9, the Jaguars fell behind 52-9 at halftime.
• The girls basketball team opened play in the 3A Metro League on Jan. 9 with a 44-37 victory over Faith Christian.
• The boys basketball team could never get in gear, falling behind by 14 points at halftime and 32 points after three quarters in a 65-28 loss to Faith Christian on Jan. 9.
• Austin Holt scored four points and Bailey Verk two as the boys basketball team scored the game's final six points in a 34-31 win over Rock Canyon in a top-10 Continental League showdown on Jan. 11. The Grizzlies were ranked fifth in the Jan. 7 CHSAANow.com Class 5A poll and Rock Canyon was eighth.
• Junior Heidi Haze scored 19 points and senior Taylor Makloski added 12 in the girls basketball team's 47-36 win over Bear Creek on Jan. 9. The team opened Continental League play on Jan. 11 with a 51-36 victory over Rock Canyon.
• Evan Pahos had a three-goal hat trick while Colby Browne scored twice and had two assists as the hockey team notched an easy 9-1 win over Pueblo County on Jan. 8. Browne was credited with the game-winning goal in the team's 5-3 victory over Chaparral on Jan. 11. Power-play goals by Browne and Cole Cavey during a three-goal first period helped the team down Cherry Creek 4-2 on Jan. 12. Cavey scored twice.
• The girls basketball team, ranked sixth in the Class 5A CHSAANow.com poll, won the Rampart tournament with a 70-22 victory over Rampart, a 65-50 conquest of Pueblo West and a 61-27 romp over Pine Creek. In the win over Pueblo West, the state's third-ranked 4A team, Raegan Beers had 33 points and 18 rebounds. The 6-foot-2 freshman had 72 points and 34 rebounds in the three tournament games.
• After losses to Rampart and Pueblo West to start the Rampart tournament, the boys basketball team posted a 68-52 win in the tourney finale over Pine Creek on Jan. 12. Jack Foley had 21 points and junior Roger Rosengarten 14 chipped in as the Eagles snapped a four-game losing skid.
Other items that may interest you
We have noticed you are using an ad blocking plugin in your browser.
The revenue we receive from our advertisers helps make this site possible. We request you whitelist our site.