• The girls basketball team, the new top-ranked squad in the CHSAANow.com Class 5A poll, pulled away from Fossil Ridge to post a 57-24 victory on Jan. 28 as senior Jamie Bain scored 18 points to spark the win. Kasie Neubert had 14 points and was one of four players to score in double figures in a 59-26 victory over ThunderRidge on Jan. 31.
• A poor third quarter foiled a close game as the boys basketball team lost to ThunderRidge, 47-38, on Jan. 31.
• The girls swim team finished fifth in the Continental League Swimming and Diving Championships Feb. 1-2 at the Heritage pool.
• Senior Ben Grusing scored 21 points as the boys basketball team jumped ahead early and went on to record an 89-72 win over Douglas County on Jan. 29. Simon May had 17 points and pulled down 13 rebounds. On Jan. 31, Corban Gamble had 16 points in a 57-44 triumph over Columbine.
• Mackenzie Gamble scored 19 points and had five assists as the girls basketball team downed Douglas County 61-42 on Jan. 29.
• Jesse Kittay and Blake Bitler scored for the hockey team in a 9-2 loss to Valor Christian on Feb. 1.
• The girls swim team racked up 607 points and won the Continental League Swimming and Diving Championship Feb. 1-2 at the Heritage pool. Annie Osmun won the 100 freestyle in 52.77, Parker Henry captured the 100 backstroke with a winning time of 57.25 and Brooke Ford was the 200 freestyle league champion with a 1:53.36 time. Ford was a double winner as she won the 500 freestyle in 5:04.00. Vista won the 200 medley relay and the 400 freestyle relay.
• Senior Grant Figueroa had a double-double with 13 points and 10 rebounds in a 60-44 win over Castle View on Jan. 29. Nick Fallin tallied eight points to lead the team in a 56-39 loss to Chaparral on Jan. 31.
• The girls basketball team got 18 points from Halle Hamilton and 14 from Mara Powner but dropped a 51-38 contest to Castle View on Jan. 29. Hamilton, a 5-foot-9 junior, had 21 points in a 59-39 loss on Jan. 31 to Chaparral. On Feb. 2, the team pulled out a 50-46 win over Northglenn.
• The girls swim team was third in the Continental League Swimming and Diving Championships Feb. 1-2 at the Heritage pool. The Jaguars finished with 458 points, behind league champion Mountain Vista (607) and runner-up Heritage (476).
• Natalia Miller-Forrest tallied 17 points to lead the girls basketball team to a 50-37 triumph over Jefferson Academy on Jan. 29. Sydney Wyatt had 15 points and was one of four players to score in double figures in a 60-22 win over Arvada on Jan. 31.
• The boys basketball team lost to Jefferson Academy, 59-44, on Jan. 29 and topped Arvada, 56-39, on Jan. 31.
• Austin Holt scored 14 points to help the boys basketball team post a 47-38 win over Highlands Ranch on Jan. 31. In a 79-57 win over Ponderosa on Jan. 29, the team built up a 24-point lead after three quarters and had four players score in double figures, led by junior Justin Smith with 15 points.
• Lindsey Anhalt tossed in 12 points for the girls basketball team in a 44-40 setback to Ponderosa on Jan. 31. Heidi Haze led the team with eight points in a 59-26 loss to top-ranked Highlands Ranch on Jan. 31.
• Kate Baker won two events and Gretchen Wensuc won for the girls swim team at the Continental League Swimming and Diving Championships Feb. 1-2 at the Heritage pool. Baker was the 100 butterfly event in 56.94 and the 200 IM with a time of 2:05.82. Wensuc was the diving champion with 510.25 points. The Grizzlies were fourth in the team standings.
• Dave Atencio, who guided the girls softball team to three Class 4A state championships, has stepped down as coach. He has been the coach for the past six seasons at Valor and compiled a 123-23-0 record.
• The girls basketball team, ranked sixth in the Class 5A CHSAANow.com poll, held Pomona scoreless in the second half and rolled to a 78-8 victory on Jan. 30. Jenna Siebert scored 16 points, had seven assists and seven steals to pace the win. Sara Nealy, the lone senior on the team, had 13 points to spark the Eagles to a 52-45 win over Bear Creek on Feb. 2.
• Jack Foley’s 22 points led the boys basketball team to a 81-67 win over Pomona on Jan. 30. The team outscored Bear Creek by 15 points in the second quarter and posted a 66-55 victory on Feb. 2.
• The girls swimming team was second in the Jeffco 5A Swimming and Diving Championships Feb. 1-2. The Eagles totaled 484 points compared to 486 for league champion Ralston Valley. Lindsay Stenstrom won the 50-yard freestyle in 23.91 and the 100 freestyle in 51.90, while younger sister Ashley Stenstrom captured the 200 IM in 2:08.31. Valor won all three relay events.
Other items that may interest you
We have noticed you are using an ad blocking plugin in your browser.
The revenue we receive from our advertisers helps make this site possible. We request you whitelist our site.