Woman found safe by Englewood police after witness reported possible kidnapping

Police report 'no known threat to the community'


The Englewood Police Department said Monday that no kidnapping occurred after a resident said she saw a woman in a car who may have been in danger July 12. 

"It is believed that the female and the driver of the vehicle knew each other, and therefore it was not a random incident.  There is no known threat to the community in relation to this," said Investigator Scot Allen. 

The response came after Englewood resident Heather Martin said she saw a woman who appeared to be trapped in a car near Eastman Avenue and Grant Street on the morning of July 12. 

Martin said she was in her car at the corner of East Eastman and South Grant at 11:55 a.m. when she saw the vehicle — a four-door sedan — driving east on Eastman.

“I immediately was concerned," Martin said.  "It was really crazily violently swerving back and forth."

Martin said she began to pull over to the side of the road and, just before the car passed her, she saw its driver's side back door "fly open."

As the car passed, Martin said she saw a woman in the back kicking her legs with her hands crossed above her head, as if she were bound.

"She was kicking her feet really violently like she was trying to drop out of the car," Martin said. 

Martin said the woman screamed for help twice with "every ounce of breath that she had." 

She appeared younger, according to Martin, possibly in her mid-20s or 30s. She had dark hair and was wearing three-quarters spandex leggings and running shoes, Martin said. 

Martin said she immediately called 911 and later that afternoon spoke with an Englewood police officer at the department building. She said she was told by the officer to file a report, which she did Wednesday at 11 a.m. 

Martin said she also called and filed a report with the Denver Police Department on Thursday morning.

Colorado Community Media attempted twice to obtain Martin's report, but Englewood police said it would not be released. When contacted on July 13, the department said the report had not yet been seen by any investigators and to check back in 24 hours.

On July 14 the department was contacted again and confirmed the report was under investigation but would not provide further comment. Martin said she had also spoken with officers and said, “my sense of things is that they are absolutely investigating."

The incident left her shaken, Martin said. 

“I’m a mom, I have two daughters, I’m a runner. I love Englewood, I love living here … and I was truly, truly horrified," she said. 

Englewood Police Department, Englewood,


Our Papers

Ad blocker detected

We have noticed you are using an ad blocking plugin in your browser.

The revenue we receive from our advertisers helps make this site possible. We request you whitelist our site.